Committee meeting jottings (key points from meetings)Steve Homer2020-09-11T09:12:42+00:00
Committee Meeting 22nd August 2020
Not much to highlight ~
1. Virtual HC agreed for Saturday 10th October, SH to arrange, Trophy/s to be awarded tbc, event will be Zwift based and probably Bologna TT
2. Kit discussion, final members vote to be issed via “BC” email
Next Mtg 26th September, please contact committee members for any issues
Committee Meeting 8th August 2020
1. Hill Climb TT 11th Oct, decision to cancel for 2020
2. AGM, unlikely to occur at normal timing, postpone to Early 2021,
3. Friday Night Social meetings, Houghton Rugby Club, cancelled for foreseeable future. To be reconsidered if member’s believe they are required.
4. New design Kit vote is completed, artwork on top 3 to be progressed
for final members vote
Next committee mtg 22nd August please contact a member of the committee for any issues/ideas you wish to be discussed.
Committee Meeting 18th July 2020
Members agreed to formally record the cancellation of the HCC Open 10 due to be held on August 2nd. A further decision would be made in due course regarding the OPEN HILL CLIMB scheduled for Sunday 11th October.
Members agreed to formally record that Harry Venables has stood down as club secretary (Harry is very much thanked for the time he has spent as Club Secretary). Steve Homer offered to take on the role on a temporary basis until the AGM or whichever occasion gave opportunity for members vote for a new secretary. The club secretary contact would be changed from the individual’s personal email contact to a centralised club address. Likewise Peter Reed will be the temporary Membership Secretary pending AGM.
Post a notice on Facebook and Club Website inviting members to offer to join committee.
Agreed that the club would run a virtual TT Series this winter.
Club rides have resumed and are proving popular. Social distancing would continue to be an element of the rides which would require regular monitoring.
New Club kit ~ Voting by members for the 3 shortlisted designs are required to be presented by July 31st.
1. Hill Climb TT status
SH – Date 13th Oct with a strict closing date of 1st Oct 2019.
3 Horseshoes Gang have offered their assistance as the “start” team
a. Date fixing and location
18th October 19:30 – 21:00, Kepier Hall, Houghton le Spring
Booking is required by HV
b. Club finances
SH – reported to be in good health and financially sound, books to be audited by John Coulson and Dave Clark. (Done 27th Sept)
c. Club awards – claim notification
Group discussion clarified that members should put in a claim (to Sec.). Members to be notified via email, website and Facebook. Awards are for members that are/were first-claim (primary) members at the time of their qualifying ride(s); second-claim membership at the time are not eligible for club awards.
3. Club Christmas lunch
PR informed the committee that he had booked the Chilton Moor Hotel for the Christmas lunch, 15th Dec 2019.
4. Membership and implication of multi-club membership
Individuals must inform their change of status to the appropriate club membership secretary if changing 1st claim status
Our club president Bob Smith announced that he has decided to step down from this position at the AGM. The committee thanked him for everything that he has done for the club over the years. Further discussion will take place at the AGM.
Committee Meeting 12th July
1. Club Kit –
The current kit design was discussed with the potential of a redesign to reflect a “retro” look. The committee decided any change of design should be put forward to the club membership and a simple survey should be used to gauge opinion. If the membership is in favour of a change then a “Blue Peter” style competition should be used to come up with a new club strip and a process would be put in place to choose a new style.
2. Membership Profile – This was primarily an overview of what the club intends to put on next season 2020 , i.e. open and club time trials, hill climb, road and cyclocross races.
Club 10s – These are the fabric of the club and ideally, we need to keep them going. However, as was the case last year these were very poorly attended and supported by club members. Many of the committee felt that we are wasting our time. Perhaps we could look at liaising with Ferryhill Whlrs to boost numbers. The committee decided that we ought to give the “10” series one more chance.
Next year’s Open 10 will require a new organiser or it will be dropped from the calendar.
The Open 25 will be organised by Harry but it will be his final year. Harry stated that more support from members is required, relying on septuagenarians and octogenarians to be pushers-off is ridiculous and unfair.
Hill Climb – next season is likely to be dropped as an Open event and return to club status. Either way, a new organiser is required.
Road – there has been a lack of support from club members. Consequently, it is highly unlikely that any circuit races will be put on by the club.
Cyclocross – next year (2020) an event will take place at Hetton Lyons either the weekend before or on the weekend of Houghton Feast; John will be organising.
NB – Club BAR includes times submitted from 10, 25 and 50 miles open and club events. There are separate titles for men and women. There is also a Junior BAR at 10 and 25 miles for club and open events. Veterans prizes should be done based on using veteran standard times (calculation process need to be based on VTTA settings). Veterans road racing are based on LVRC/BC events.
AOB – Peter Reed had been in touch to put forward a suggestion to move to the Ramside for the club awards night.
A main feature of the meeting was the lack of support in the club from its members for proposed events.
Committee meeting 17th May
1. 10 and 25 miles Time Trials – lack of volunteers and club riders doing the open and club events was discussed. Club events have very poor turn out, more marshals than riders.
HCC need to look at the merit in providing a club series and any future series is in jeopardy. The open time trials that the club put on may also be in the balance due to the lack of support from club members.
2. Strava groups ~ currently there are two, one managed by Andy Brennan (old & disjointed) and the other managed by Kevin Hawkey (new & club members only). Discussion of consolidation into a single group.
HCC need to bring everything into line (DONE, Old one deleted, new HCC strava group only open to club members)
3. AOB – Proposal to move to direct ordering of kit from Halo using their web-link alongside the usual bulk ordering. This will allow members to order kit when they want it and pay the full amount directly to Halo, but it will work out more expensive than the usual option.
Short Committee mtg 1st March
Brief meeting to discuss Cyclocross later in the year.
It was decided the club will not promote the usual Houghton Feast Cyclocross later this year (late September), this is due to 2 main reasons.
The Houghton feast dates coincide with the World Road Championships in Yorkshire and most people (riders/spectators) will be drawn to these events.
The workload of the cyclocross event is becoming more demanding and younger members really need to step forward to ensure this event continues in 2020 and beyond, note this workload occurs prior to and after the event in arranging/transporting staking and barriers in conjunction with CXNE so it is not just a one-day commitment.
Committee meeting items 15th February
Committee Mtg summary
General discussion with Katherine Knox British Cycling rep’, items were how the club can engage with “LetsRide”/”Ride Social”/”Breeze” – British Cycling defined rides, to expand Houghton CC activities. Further activities will be advised when more concrete.
Committee Meeting 1st February
Summary of items
Club 10 mile TT will run 8th May -10 July 2019, 19:30 Wednesdays on the usual M1010B course with impromptu HQ at council “lay-by” opposite side to finish.
Obviously this will need good support from the membership for marshalling duties, A rota will be created at a later date for volunteers. Minimum of 5 event results is required to qualify for any Men/Women/Vets club 10 TT trophy. To win any of these trophies the rider must volunteer to undertake at least one marshalling duty (as previous years) but committee has recognised for shift workers a substitute may be allowed with prior notification.
British Cycling representative to attend next committee mtg to discuss arrangements of “Lets-Ride” activities
Future committee mtgs will discuss award and trophies and how to adjust them to encourage more members to race, please contact any member of the committee with your thoughts i.e. more awards for improvement, more Vets awards to be based on Standard times, etc.
Next Committee mtg – 15th February
Committee meeting 16th January 2019
Action to progress “Lets Ride” activities (Re- BC activities from previous meeting) shall be to contact Katherine Knox, BC Recreational Officer.
Action by Ian Sime (Done – Ed’)
2. Discussion on various aspects of Club Kit, to be continued, but members are urged to study website site information (updated) and view current samples held by Eddie McGourley & Carl Hackles.
3. Mileater competition will not be organised in 2019, Note – only 7 members fully partook in 2018, it was decided to change to usage of the mileater trophy (tba) at a later date. Note – Members are reminded mileage can be inputted and studied within Strava (free to join) where HCC has a club presence (link within this website at bottom of page) – Ed’
4. Committee meeting agreed that meetings shall be more frequent but shorter in 2019
Next Mtg early February.
Committee meeting items 10/12/18
Committee Meeting Summary 10th December 2018
1. Main topic was a discussion with Jack Rees, a BC regional officer.
Jack was very positive about the club and essentially we are doing all the right things, Jack highlighted the BC “Lets Ride” programme as a item to encourage newer members and also to be mindful to improve communications with all club groups. Committee will work on these points
2. Member’s Feedback response
Presidents ride, Club TT programme and Reliability ride, all to be reviewed and tweaked to improve formats for the benefit of members
3. Website – committee meetings
Request for committee mtg bullet points to be published on website, agreed (& DONE)
4. AOB- Review of current membership, 132 members with average age in mid 50’s with unfortunately few members actually competing, committee aware of these item (items 1 and 2 above will hopefully assist)
5. Next mtg early January 2019 – If any thoughts/ideas please contact the committee, see Contacts in this website or face 2 face.